Monday 20 August 2007

Visit to the doctor

On with the cardigan then off again, a sneeze here then another sneeze there. A little cough. Ouch that hurt right there between the ribs.
"You must be coming down with something." said the Dr.
"You don't say!" Well not in words just in my mind. It's pretty much why I made the appointment. I'm not feeling well.
"How do you pronounce your name?" squints at the computer screen.
"LINDIWE." I smile and wait for her to parrot my name back to me. Not many people call me by my full name not even my family. They call me Lindy, or Li or Linde. The only person who does call me Lindiwe and that will be a rare occasion, well it hardly likely these days, would be my mother, and that would mean I was in shite!

Anyway she tries her best and I give her two stars for effort then go on to explain my symptoms. Honestly at times I felt as though I was telling a fib.
"You're not pregnant?"
I giggle a little and wonder why it always boils down the the same question. If I must say pregnancy is a absolute no, no. I can't feel any bumps or blows to my head,see any suspicious needle holes, or times or dates I can't recall. I've been fully conscious since the day I was born.

She smiles at me oddly as if she can read my thoughts. Then focuses on Naomi for a bit. She brought her baby Anabella with her. The one with real tears. For goodness sake, the doll has been cry, burping loudly, sleeping, oohing and aahing and I really can't take much more.
"What's your baby's name?" the Dr asks.
"uuuuu,,uummmm Sarah" Naomi smiles shyly and looks over at me. I silently mouth Switch Off!
Doctor looks back at me, I smile, then back to Naomi.
"How is she today?"
"She's poorly"
Lord! The doll's getting more attention than I am.
BLAH ,BLAH BLAH for a few more seconds than it's back to me.

I lie down on the exam table and get the usual,
Heart rate? Check! Blood pressure? Check! Eyes,mouth? Check!

Next its a tight armband around my tiny biceps- feeling like a real heroine addict ready for a fix as she taps centre of my arm and a nice juicy vein appears. In goes the sharp needle and I'm washed over by nausea! I will be no good at taking drugs intravenously. And finally it was a trip to the loo.

Conclusion- I'll have to go back in next Tuesday. Advice- Get lots of rest it sounds as though I'm coming down with a flu. And drink lots of fluid. Booohoo- No drugs?

So off we went Naomi and I and burping baby Anabelle and I still feel as though nothing was really solved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't let this minor setback of health bog you down.It's the grey weather. You will be fine in no time and feeling good for no reason. Get better soon. Oh!! I'm still waiting for today's entry!!

Mandy