Friday 10 August 2007

Missing you already





I promised myself that wouldn't cry. I was going to be strong but as I took this photo I felt myself chocking back the tears and just wanting them to come back home with me. I can't believe how fast time has flown. It felt like just yesterday when I got the text message from mum telling me that she, my sister and my niece were all coming to England for a visit. At the time I'd panicked, it's funny that I'm actually having a hard time letting go when I was afraid before they came.


This is how it went down just before they came
Time 4:30 a.m U.K time
5:30 a.m S.A time
Felt a vibration under my pillow. Shocked! Oh silly me its my mobile. What time is it? I squint I know its morning, but I know it's not really waking up time. 4:30! Bloody hell....heart starts racing, messages this early can only mean bad news. I scroll through message with a racing heart and shaky hands.

Message: Hi its mum. We're coming down to England next weekend, it will be good to see you after a long while.

Heart rate gains momentum- feeling sick. Haven't really said much about separation, yes I've mentioned it but dates and departures had all been a fib. Not mentioned the unemployment thing either. I'm toast!

Get up, fingers too numb to reply message- let it go maybe she's bluffing.

The weekend
While in the middle of catching up on Grey's Autonomy- mobile rings.
Me: Hello?
It's us we've just arrived we're at London Heathrow.
Me: Hah??????????
We're on our way to Manchester to see sisters in -laws first, probably speak to you later tonight!
Me: Yes okay....yes okay......bye
Usual panic rush to fridge- No contents. Pace up and down the stairs- don't worry daughter not around to see display of such madness!
Next Morning
Ringing mobile
Me: Hello?
Baby not feeling too well think its the travelling. We'll have to postponed coming to you for a few days.
Me: Sorry to hear that. (More time for me to make a plan)

Next day after school drop off - three point turn clutch incident- remember? The bleeping cars and flicking lights. Car into garage for repairs. Hopefully working in a couple of days- no such luck and guess what. Mobile rings two days later.
Family: We're at the coach station we'll be Leeds in an hour!
Me (Ringing sounds going off in my head)
Family: Hello Lindy are your there?
Me : Yes, Leeds an hour. See you there.

It never rains for me it bloody pours. No car, time to try and call in a few favours.
The Ex- Nope can't help car has no road tax, can't risk it.....blah blah blah
The friend- Car temperamental- it suffers from permanent brake light fever.....whatever that means so that one out the window.
Other friend- Ah..... working the night shift all night....will be a safety hazard to us all.
Taxi? Fifty quid to and from Leeds. Fifty quid...... Well then public transport it is.
This whole saga became so blown out of proportion I'd forgotten what was important. My Family. They had travelled across the oceans to see me and all I was focusing on were my immediate needs. But I tell you what, I got through it and not only did I get through it I had family who supported me during one of the hardest times in my life. I had been lonely for quiet a while, feeling as though my life just wasn't moving forward but having them around me took that away and suddenly all these other things weren't that important. They were.


I miss you guys already and thank you dear niece for spicing up my life for letting me know that the living room doesn't always have to be neat!


For your countless fashion tips!



For being a sister..........


.............and for all the seat belt sagas. I will miss you guys and I hope to see you soon.

I love u!!














No comments: