Wednesday 1 August 2007

The last day of July

The last day of the month I went down to Goole for an interview. This was my 7th interview so far and for some reason I'm just not getting the jobs, or is it that I don't think they're to my standards. Anyway I got to the place thirty minutes early, typical of me and decided to park a few blocks away and catch up on some reading. I found it hard to concentrate because the sun was bursting through the window, burning my arms, and I know...I know I shouldn't be complaining after all the wet weather we've had but I just couldn't concentrate.


I used the box of tissues to dab of the sweat off my forehead, then refreshed myself with deo and drove off to the interview, still early, which the interviewer made a comment about - and I thought being early was supposed to be a good thing.

She took me through the open plan office to a secluded room where we begun the interview. She's a pretty blonde, not a real blonde I can tell by shades of black at the roots- a dye gone bad. She looks extremely pale but I'm guessing she's done a quick dab of powder in the ladies just as I arrived - could explain her last comment. I decided to call her two toned Kate just because I could - in my head that is.

We get on with the usual questions i.e why would you like to work for us? (Pretty obvious isn't it, I need the doe) What are your goals? (Not sure really) Your experience etc. Then she takes a look at my C.V and feels the need to point out that I spelt computer with an "or" at the end and wondered if I was using the US spell check on my computer. Don't ask me how this is relevant to the job, but I guess spelling is very very important.

We go on to discuss my origin. Now that's simple, Born in England, moved to Zimbabwe- HAH ? she's never heard of Bulawayo before- she looks at me as though I'd made up that city. Then finally lived in South Africa. She notes that I can speak Ndebele and Xhosa for which she gives me thumbs up. It could be good for the company, they do deal with international customers you know.


In the whole process I felt I was being prepped for brain surgery, but never mind, I got her back when she asked me what I'd planned to do for the rest of the day.SIT OUT SIDE IN THE SUN! - While you sit in front of your computor, Oops I beg your pardon, I meant to say Computer. Well I never really said the last bit but I did get the message across.


Will I get the job? I don't know, very mixed messages. Do I want it? Probably not, it would be very hard getting along with two toned Kate. I guess this is why I'm still hanging out on the unemployment line.

No comments: