Wednesday 28 April 2010

Trust Your Gut

I haven't been well and this kind of pisses me off a bit.  You see, the thing is, I take care of myself very well. At least I hope so. I run twice a week, don't take sugar in my tea or cereal, have my five a day and drink at least two litres of water. You see I follow all the rules.

I guess I expected to be of perfect health all the time. Obviously this is impossible. I can accept the occasional cold and the flu but what I'm experiencing now is just not me. The thing is, what the doctor has diagnosed me with just doesn't make sense. I don't drink, nor do I eat highly fatty foods so it really sucks to think that after doing what's right I land up with what's wrong.

But after going through all the motions I have accepted that it is possible for a triathlon athlete to drop down dead at the age of 30 and a heavy smoker and drinker to live until the age of 90. Life has a funny way of teaching us more about ourselves than anything else. At the end of the day it really is about me. Not about the smoker I'd been resenting, that's their business, their life and their journey.

I decided to give up all the rules of what's good and what's bad and decided to refocus on what's good and what's bad for me as an individual instead. Yes, five a day is great, but what five a day are good for me? Of course excess sugar is bad, but what sugar is good for me? This has lead me to the book 'Eat right for your blood type' by Peter A'damo. What I've picked up from it so far is that as a blood type A, I really should be a vegetarian, with specific fruit and vegetables that I can eat.

Type A's have low stomach acid which makes the digestion of animal products quite difficult. Which can lead to stomach cancers, Gastritis and other sorts of stomach and bowel problems. This was my Aha! moment. It seems that even though I'd been doing the correct thing, I wasn't eating the correct thing for my blood type hence the diagnoses of the condition.

It's trial and error for me and like I said before, what might work for one type A person might not be what's right for me.  We are all individuals with different needs.  If our fingerprints are unique and no one on this planet can match them, then surely our health needs are just as unique. I guess we have to do what's right for us and as a guide I've began to follow the type A diet. And will see what works for me.

At the end of the day, follow your gut, it's always right. Only you know what you need. Listen to yourself because you are the only one that knows you.

Be blessed. 

1 comment:

Lin8t said...

Thank you for the tip Lydia. Really appreciate.