Sunday 28 March 2010

Transition


I finally did it. I got rid of all my relaxers and unnecessary products that just build up grease in my hair. I must be honest, going back to an afro is not easy. I've never really had one except when I was really young and once when I thought I could go natural. I've always weakened and gone back to the relaxer. But this time I'm determine to stick it out.


It is hard work though, what to do with your hair every morning is a mission on its own. Sometimes I wonder if I've made the right decision but I know I have when I hear my daughter say, ' I'm loving that afro!' This is what it's all about, loving me. As I am. There is nothing wrong with straight hair, but the chemicals that go into making it straight can't be any good. For me I think going straight was deeper than I'd like to admit. It's true, society paints a pretty picture about straight hair, that it almost alienates you when you go natural.

At first people look at you funny or find it strange to see you with your natural hair, but hey, this is me. So I'm rocking my afro with pride. Each one of us has a choice of how we choose to live our lives. For me, it's going natural and learning new ways of how to manage my hair. It has opened up new ideas that I would never have got otherwise. You see, it's like being introduced to myself all over again, but this time I'll actually learn how to manage my hair in its natural state.

Stay true to yourself. Love to all.

No comments: